Birth Companion Program - Community Action Program for Children (CAPC)
The Birth Companion Program matches pregnant women, who are in need of support, with caring volunteers who can provide emotional support during pregnancy, labour and delivery and for 6 weeks following the baby's birth.
Download and complete our Volunteer Birth Companion Application if you are interested in volunteering in this capacity.
Connections - Birth Companion Application Form Fillable PDF
A Birth Companion:
- Goes through an extensive training program, and receives ongoing training
- Offers a special kind of friendship
- Can meet a woman up to 3 hours per week
- Can accompany women to appointments (e.g. doctors, prenatal classes), and often can provide transportation to these appointments
- Is a great listener and can answer questions
- Is caring, non-judgemental and fun
- Is accountable to, and supported by, the Birth Companion Program Facilitator
A woman can be connected with a Birth Companion as early on in her pregnancy as she wishes.
Any woman who feels she needs support can request a Birth Companion.